Prevention is better than cure, a cliché for a reason.
Esk Dental Centre offers some of the most comprehensive and easy to avail services for preventive dentistry Toowoomba. Preventive or precautionary dental care is very important for healthy teeth and gums, and which leads to overall good health. In this preventative field of dentistry, we offer consultation and advisory services along with periodic examinations/ check-ups so that your family has excellent all-round oral health.
Precautionary/Preventative oral health is important in modern services because the focus has shifted from emergency patient care to healthy long-term maintenance. Instead of spending hours in anxiety, pain, and discomfort in the case of an infection leading to an emergency it is better to take steps to avoid it completely having a full course of care making it very easy to maintain.
This consist of regular visits with our health care team, beginning with having a dental health care plan made on your first visit. You can also have your entire family enrol in this dental plan, thus ensuring all ‘round’ health.
What does this treatment plan involve?
Our healthcare team will offer medically sound recommendations on lifestyle habits.
- Types of toothpaste and toothbrush to give you the best results.
- How many maintenance visits should you opt for on a yearly basis? This assessment will be made after taking your oral health history your current lifestyle habits current state of your mouth.
- Risk assessment- the team will assess the current risks to your oral health. Based on the check-up you will be advised on what changes you should make in your diet or your lifestyle to minimize the risk at the earliest.
- A dental examination will take place during your periodic visitsthat will include checking tooth decay, gum health, TMJ, problems with the bite, oral cancer and periodontal disease. This screening is done using probes / digital x-rays that offer a clear look into the oral cavity of the patient.
- During these visits, the team will also offer dental cleaning (prophylaxis) services, application of Fluoride This is recommended to remove any kind of plaque, calculus and staining from your teeth.
With the preventive dentistry approach, we try to instil excellent oral habits in all our patients. We believe that besides understanding the correct action to take in order to maintain good oral health, understanding the risks of poor oral health also improves the care patients take of their teeth and oral cavity.
Want to learn more about medications and how they can affect your oral health? Time to get in touch.
Preventative dentistry and children
Good habits start early, and we encourage parents to include us in their team to educate children on the benefits of preventative dentistry leading to a lifetime of good health.
Establishing an important relationship with children to build their confidence in visiting the dentist, starting early with regular check and cleans provides the opportunity for them to learn valuable life skills and is crucial to pick up any signs of disease early.
Proper brushing and flossing techniques can be taught, and children can be encouraged by our friendly and supportive team (rather than the feel they are being nagged by parents!). We can help you as a family engrave these valuable behaviours into their everyday routine, setting them up for a healthier, happier life. Who knows? They may just end up enjoying it!
Eligible Parents and children can benefit from the Child Dental Benefits Schedule from Medicare which provides financial cover for dental expenses. This makes quality dental care affordable for families and you can access the preventative dentistry you need; at the time it’s needed.